Tuesday, June 7, 2016

"I have some good news and some bad news."

"I have some good news and some bad news." With this, my gut knew what it was instantly. His drum instructor was leaving. Of course the feeling of dread fell upon me immediately. AND my first thought was that he was going to never play drums again. That was my first reaction. My momma bear 'don't want to do anything to rock the boat' reaction.

Having been around the block with BSC and TSS services along with speech and OT therapists since he was 2ish, we were completely familiar with transition. It seems whenever you get 'settled' with someone....BAM. And the funny thing was the conversation ALWAYS started with, "I have some good news and some bad news."

He first showed interest in drums back in July of 2014. By that time it was too late to sign him up at school because there weren't any more lesson times available for drums. He was insistent so I asked his music teacher if she could recommend a place to take him. After several phone calls, we were on our way to meet his new instructor, if he was open with working with my son. He had never worked with an autistic student before so we had to see if it would work. You know, the gut thing again.

Needless to say, Ian sure had a way with reaching my son. Lessons were going wonderfully so my friend sent him his very own snare drum. Boy he loves that drum!!! In fact, on his birthday we bought him his very own set. Our home has gotten VERY LOUD! lol.

His instructor asked me how he should handle telling him the news. That's what we really loved about Ian, if he had any concerns about our son, he asked us for advice. Respect for my son. That is hard to find nowadays. Last night we drove to his last session with Ian. His new instructor was going to observe to see what has been working for the past year and a half. We are hoping this helps with the transition.

After his lesson was over, my boy happily smiled for the camera and held his new drum sticks that Ian gave to him. On the way home, he said, "I will play drums with Don now."  Yes. With Don now.

Ian has been a tremendous support with nurturing his love of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment