Friday, April 1, 2016

Somewhere on the Spectrum. Written by Susan Eyrich

Somewhere on the Spectrum

April is Autism Awareness Month. The month when we wear blue and attach puzzle pieces to everything we see. We will post statistics and demand acceptance. Autism awareness and acceptance is every day for us. It is a beautiful life to live.

I'm an Autistic adult. I've had a rough life but the beauty of my life has surpassed all the rough times. I wouldn't trade my life on the spectrum and I wouldn't trade the lives of my children. When I see people speak of a cure, I feel that my life and the lives of others are devalued. We are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, aunts and uncles. We are worthy of more than a political debate.

I'm a mother to 6 children. Each of my 6 children have taught me how to not just survive in this world but to truly live. My oldest son is almost 17 and is Autistic. There are many words to describe him but proud would be the word I choose. He is proud of having Autism. He finds strength in a diagnosis that most view as a weakness. My oldest daughter is 14 and she has Bipolar Disorder. I would describe her as protective. She protects her brothers and sister with a fierceness unknown to most. My next son is 10 and is Autistic. He is the most curious child you will ever meet and his empathy is amazing. He knows how I feel before I do. My next son is 8 and is Autistic. He is love redefined. He will embrace everyone he meets. My youngest daughter is 8 and Autistic. She is fierce and stubborn. She is a miniature me. My youngest son is 1. He's an adorable baby.

Some in the Autism community will ask why we chose to have children when we are genetically predisposed to Autism. The answer is pretty simple. All lives matter and every life is beautiful. My life, your life and your children's lives are worthy of love and acceptance.

In April I hope you spread awareness and acceptance. 

I hope you find connections in our large community. Most of all, I hope you see how beautiful Autistic lives are and you embrace them with open arms. Then I hope you take these things and spread them all year long. Teach your local communities that a community isn't a community when they exclude even one person.

We are worthy. We are beautiful. We are successful. We are determined. We are loving. We aren't inferior. We aren't diseased. We walk among you. We are Autistic. 

Susan's Family. 

Read more about Susan's family and her thoughts over on her Facebook page titled
  In Our World, We Are The Voice.  

*If you want to share your story, please email grapejellyonpizza@gmail.com.  As always, join us daily at our Grape Jelly on Pizza Facebook page.

1 comment: