Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Not a 'Beige' Room

It's done!  Complete!! and it won't be painted over for another 5 years....that's my rule anyway.  Whatever theme you pick, you have to live with it for 5 years. 

When we were in the process of moving I had to heartbreakingly paint over his 'Beach at Night' theme room.  (I think if you click on the link, it will take you to the fan page and the photo album.)  He didn't want to paint over it either so I told him to start thinking about what his new room should be and without hesitation he said Angry Birds Space.  OK.  So I started to play the game to even see what it was about.  Looked a bit complicated but if that's what he wanted then that was what he was going to get. 

A little history about why I like crazy rooms.  I grew up in a beige house.  Most of the house was neutral except for my room.  Mom tried but going neutral was safe.  She is embracing color now!  Way to go Mom.  Looking back, my grandfather came over from Germany when he was only 14 years old and didn't know any English.  He knew a trade and his trade was to hang wallpaper.  He was good at it and that is how he earned his living.  He then taught my Dad and he was good at it also.  As far back as I can remember, my bedrooms were always loud and bright and really busy!!  I would always love to be in my room.  I think that is why I'm not afraid of color.  My homes are very colorful and bedrooms have to be WOW!! 

Back to Angry Birds Space...... My son has autism and has difficulty with communication.  No news there.  When we did his 'Beach at Night' bedroom I saw how excited he would get when we talked about the beach.  I would ask him what he would see at the beach and then paint what he told me.  Even let him show me where he wanted it to be.  It was a fun experience for both of us and the whole family got into it.  When planning this room he picked out the paint colors, curtains and carpet.  So, without further ado, here is his 'Angry Birds Space' bedroom.


Paint the walls, ceiling and add clouds.
Don't forget to 'doodle'.
One level had this orange, egg shaped planet.


Angry Birds Space birds.



One of the boulders with pigs.
 The entire ceiling has purple clouds, ice chunks and glow in the dark stars that are scattered throughout the entire room.....not to mention floating pigs in bubbles. 

I am not an artist but I do enjoy the interaction with my son when we create rooms.  My daughter wants a 'Nature' based room complete with high grass, flowers, butterflies, clouds, a sun and a giant rainbow. (I drew the line at a pond with frogs and lilly pads!)

Hope you enjoyed the pictures and I think you will agree that this is not a beige room. 

1 comment:

  1. It's awesome! I can't wait to show my son when he gets home from school! He still hasn't picked out what he's doing in his room. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete