Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stronger

You almost got me again.  I admit, you had me down for a while but it was less than 24 hours this time.  Let me tell you again.....You Will Not Deter Me.  You Will Not Get Me Down.  I Am Strong. 

Yesterday we received a copy of an evaluation completed on my son.  Hard to read.  Hate to read the reports.  They are mostly negative.  I am a positive person.  The glass is half full and I prefer to keep it that way.  Sometimes, I have moments.  I'm human.  Honestly thought the report was going to come back much better than what it read. 

So many people, through GJOP, think my son is an aspie.  In thinking about it, probably because of my outlook.  I prefer to look at the good and the positive.  He indeed has classic autism.  Negative thoughts drain you.  But yesterday, they did get to me. 

Significantly Below Average - 0.1 Percentile Rank - Delayed - Frequent Redirection - Unrelated - Off Topic - Lower Extreme - Off Task - Exhibits Several Behaviors that Impact His Ability

You get the idea.  If you are a parent of an ASD child, these words are used repeatedly in every single report you get.  They are used several times and I CAN'T STAND IT.  I stumbled upon a blog called I Couldn't Imagine from Our Life in Pieces and it was a reminder, a wake up call actually. 

So, without further ado, I'm telling you, all things negative, to stay out of my way.  You will not stop me or take another minute of my life.  I'm a parent of a special needs child and he needs me to keep going and to be strong.  I see significant improvements and I will see to it that he continues on this path.  He is intelligent, strong and a fighter.  You'll see.  One day, you'll see.

5 comments:

  1. How funny I just read this. I just posted on someone's blog about the horror of IEP meetings for me. Some feel it's no big deal. Uh, for me to sit there and listen to where my son is vs where he should be, makes me want to punch people in the face! How many more charts do I need to see how low he is? I'm with you! I don't let the negative get me down, which is why I'm not always talking about it. I choose to focus on all his PROGRESS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tried, as an RSP teacher, to state what my students COULD do. It was still Clear whether they were at grade level or not ( especially cause I had to report scores), but I liked to show the positive and the improvement when I wrote present levels of performance. Most of my kids had garden variety learning disabilities; a few had autism or Aspergers. What's the point of focusing on the negative?

    ReplyDelete