Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Former Procrastinator

pro·cras·ti·nate
v. pro·cras·ti·nat·ed, pro·cras·ti·nat·ing, pro·cras·ti·nates

  • To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.
  • To postpone or delay needlessly.
 
Yes.  This was me.  I am a former procrastinator!  Oh, how many times I would push things off, never get around to it, say yeah, yeah.  Sometimes things would go away but over time I learned that this wasn't the way for me.  It brought on stress; tons more stress than what a situation called for because I wouldn't jump on things right away. 
 
One of the things autism has taught me was how not to be a procrastinator.  There is no "it can wait" because it can't.  Autism needs to be addressed ASAP!  Early intervention is the key.  In the beginning there are so many waiting lists, books, people, Doctors, therapists etc. that is extremely overwhelming and can shut you down but you have to keep moving forward.  No time for sitting and saying, "Let's see what happens." because that is not an option.  Time is very valuable.  What is 6 months can equal years of progress to a child with autism. 
 
When I don't feel like making that one more call I think back to my 'if' list.  If I would've called the county sooner he would've gotten evaluated sooner, then I would've been at that parent meeting sooner, then would've heard to word autism sooner, etc. 
 
HOWEVER, another thing I have learned is everything happens for a reason.  I strongly believe that.  So, as long as I keep moving forward and don't revert back to my old ways of being a procrastinator, we'll be OK. 
 
“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
–Walt Disney
Loved this quote when I first saw it.  It was at the end of the Meet the Robinsons, Disney movie.   

1 comment: