Sunday, April 1, 2012

2112 Autism Time Capsule

Not only is today the start of Autism Awareness Month but I'm also making a time capsule that will be opened in the year 2112.  That's right; 100 years from now, what will people think about my time capsule representing autism, as I know it right now.  Hmm.  What are the key issues surrounding autism. 

The first thing I'd like to add is my iPad.  Well, my son's iPad.  It was given to me but like everything dealing with technology, he took it over.  The iPad has made learning easier and fun for children with autism.  They are using it now in therapies and in school for speech and learning.  My son loves playing learning games but mostly he is into YouTube.  Yes, YouTube videos are a must for him.  I have a love/hate relationship with YouTube when it comes to him but overall it is helping him socially.  How?  He models the behaviors of his peers.  When another 8 year old boy reenacts a video, he gets to see it.  Then he tries it himself.  This is much 'safer' for him to do.  When an actual child is trying to communicate with him he gets very anxious.  YouTube allows him to be with his peers.

The second thing I'd like to add is a bunch of books on vaccines, diet, sensory, melatonin, meds, how to write an IEP, medical books, law books ect. to show how much research an individual person has to do on his/her own in order for their child to survive in this world.  I'd also include items of awareness like pins, magnet, bags, scarves and the list goes on.  For these are the items that most are compelled to wear every single day in case their autistic child starts a meltdown or odd behaviors are being noticed from others.  I too have already, after long stares from strangers, flashed them my pin for autism awareness to see if they even have a clue to what it is. 

The last thing I'd like to add is a huge puzzle of a DNA strand.  I'm talking a 20,000 piece puzzle or so.  I'd encourage the future to put it together and when it is almost done, there is 1 piece missing.  How frustrating would that be? 


We talk about finding the missing piece all the time with autism.  Would they have the missing piece in 100 years?   What would it be?  Vaccines?  DNA?  Which environmental triggers?  So many questions.  Or, will we ALL have a form of autism.  Is there a genetic shift happening like in other species who need to adapt?  "Perhaps GOD thinks it's time for a new kind of society because, let's face it, a lot of us NT's are really screwed up," posted from LaDonna on the Grape Jelly on Pizza Facebook page.  This could be possible.  This could be the start of a new way of life.

What would you like to add to the autism time capsule?

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd add a diary full of my frustrations.

    Many blessings to you

    ReplyDelete