Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Obstacles to Overcome

I am sitting at my daughter's very first outdoor softball practice.  Her very first team sport.  There are 12 little girls, mostly dressed in pink and purple, not really paying attention as the coach starts talking. 

I ask myself, "Will my son ever be able to participate in a team sport?"

We are at a field sitting up on a hillside overlooking our city.  Row homes and businesses set against a beautiful, pale blue sky with an occasional streak of white, puffy clouds that roll by.  There is a tall, rusty fence surrounding the field but I take notice it's not fully enclosed.  This would be obstacle #1My son is an eloper.  This particular field has 4 baseball mounds.  Wide open fields and you would lose his attention almost immediately.

She's wearing the pink top with aqua bottoms.
The girls are practicing their batting skills.  There is a huge bucket of bright yellow softballs sitting next to the coach.  Just sitting there.  This would be obstacle #2.  Balls are fascinating to my son.  He would want to dive into them, take them all out, roll them around, put them all back in and not part with one single one of them.  They would be his and his alone. 

We are now 36 minutes into practice and their attention is now focused on the coach.  I'm impressed. They are learning how to catch grounders, quickly stand up and throw the ball back to the coach.  The one thing I love about my daughter is if she doesn't understand something she has no problems asking.  She will keep asking until she fully understands what she has to do to get the results she wants.  This would be obstacle #3 for my son.  He says yes to everything, even if he doesn't understand.  He wouldn't ask or know he should ask or even how to ask if he doesn't understand something.  There is still a big communication delay.

Running the bases are next.  How cute is this?  A bunch of 5-7 year olds learning how softball is played.  Her 2nd try at bat and she hit the ball.  She definitely bats left and catches right.  She keeps hitting them and her teammates are going after the ball.  Another hit and she is running to first base.  Oops, she fell on her way.  Not always graceful, my girl.  My son is a very fast runner and I'm positive he wouldn't trip but would he stop at the base or keep going.  I bet he'd keep on running. 

If he could overcome some of these obstacles he would have a chance to be a ball player like his Dad.  I think deep down, my husband would love this.  Isn't this what Dad's dream about?  Playing baseball with their son?  A moment of sadness comes over me, but if I'm to be a team Mom I have to shake it off and move forward. 

Maybe someday we can try a team sport.  Someday.

1 comment:

  1. I went to one of my nephews t-ball games this past summer & all the parents were really involved in the game to help keep the kids in order. I'm pretty sure every child had a parent on the field with them. Anyway, I'm telling you about this because there was a special needs little guy out there with his dad. I don't know what he was diagnosed with, but it made such a good impression on me that it made me consider putting Belle on a team this summer. The little boy reminded me of Belle because his dad held his hand the whole time, but he was okay with that, & they were enjoying themselves. I don't remember how old your son is either, so forgive me if he's past the t-ball age group. But it was through the YMCA if you're interested.:-)

    -Cassie

    ReplyDelete