Friday, January 20, 2012

I Do Have My Crap Together...Really.

Some days I can't think.  Really.  My brain stops working.  There is so much going on that I can't focus on anything.  Have you ever needed something at the bottom of the stairs and by the time you are at the top...you have NO IDEA what you went upstairs for?  It happens to me all the time.  I don't think I'm losing it....but am I?

For example, on Wednesday a mom asked me a simple question, don't ask me what it was because I have no idea, and with multiple interruptions, I actually had no idea where I was going with the answer.  You would think I'd be able to handle one little question with ease but no.  Why?  My son was bouncing off the walls and I was trying to calm him down.  While this was happening there seemed to be mass chaos all around me.  Bright yellow walls, loud talking, my son jumping from the bench to the ground, running from one end of the room to the other, throwing his Angry Birds, other little ones grabbing and throwing Angry Birds and moms who were trying to ignore but couldn't because YOU CAN'T!! 

I also must sound like a complete idiot when people ask me about doctors and therapies.  My conversations usually sound something like this:

"Where does he go for therapy?"

"To, ah, Good, stop please, Shepherd."

"Which one?"

"The one downtown, on, ah, that street, please stop, across, you have 5 more minutes until your treat, that bridge?"

"Oh, on 5th Street.  What is OT therapy anyway?"

"Occupational Therapy.  They do stuff, stay here please, with him like sensory, gross and fine motor.  Please stop.  Mommy's trying to talk.  Just sit down.  I'm going to put the Angry Birds away.  NO Mama!!"

I'm sure you can relate.  Someday I will be able to properly speak again but for now if you want to talk with me you will continue to get fragments and you'll have to help me piece them together.  Much like a puzzle.  A big giant puzzle. 

I think it's because I'm on overload most of the time.  Not only do I have to get myself ready but my daughter and my son and of course, my husband will add in, "Do you know where my shoes are?"  Seriously?  Your shoes.  I just got 3 people ready and you don't know where your shoes are?  Come on now.  You know what I'm talking about. 

So, next time you are trying to talk with an autism mom who looks frazzled, she probably is.  No need to help just be understanding.  She may sound like she's a ditz but she really has her crap together.  Well, most of the time anyway. 

9 comments:

  1. HAHAHAAAAAAA! YES! This is so me - all the time.

    But we both totally have our crap together. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We absolutely have it together...we just get brain freeze every once in a while!! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Just saw a shout-out to your page on AutismDaddy's page. I've been browsing your page and thoroughly enjoying your posts. I can SO relate to all of them, especially this one! The way you described how you answer questions like fragments/puzzle pieces. That is SO me! Glad to have found you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to respond with something insightful and quirky but my brain is mush from my day with my chaos so I'll say askdfnjasdhfjkbd and assume you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have three kids always in different directions and find it increasingly hard to hold an adult conversation!

    ReplyDelete